More employers expect college students to have experience for entry-level industry-related positions. Students often ask how they can get experience if they do not have experience yet. Through internships! There are many benefits for students to have an internship or two while in school. Students are able to:
- Get their foot in the door of the company and the industry.
- “Test the waters” and learn about a particular part of the industry before committing to a specific career path.
- Build their network and gain valuable industry contacts. Networking is the number one way to land interviews and eventually jobs.
- Gain a better understanding of how their coursework applies to their career interests. Also, they can improve their academics because they are able to apply their course knowledge to their internships.
- Build their confidence about entering the industry.
Internships are a perfect stepping stones to a full-time job in the industry and the launch of their career. Because internships are for a short-term duration, students can do multiple internships during their time in college. Ultimately, students who have prior internship experiences are more desirable and marketable to prospective Employers.
Wade College students are able to view current internships and other multiple job opportunities on Wade Career Connection, the college’s online student job board. A sample of available internships include:
- Fashion design intern for Tinsley Radix, a custom fashion brand of women’s apparel, with their flagship storefront and design studio located nearby Wade College
- Talent agency intern for On Set Management, an agency representing behind the scenes talent for commercial photo shoots
- Product development Intern for Arteriors Home, a wholesaler of Lighting, Accessories, & Furniture
The Office of Career Services welcomes students to meet and further discuss internship opportunities, as well as other types of positions. Students can get assistance with additional job search resources, resume writing, cover letter writing, interviewing, career advice, and more!